I was sad to duck out of LLL today just as so many of you were arriving and the conversation was just getting going — darn preschool!
In light of our conversation about breastfeeding in public, I pulled together some great images and videos of breastfeeding in public that I thought you all might enjoy.
I just love this postcard from Lesotho on the right! It depicts a mother nursing an older child as she weaves a basket in a marketplace. The caption on this postcard reads “Mosotho woman weaving a basket”. The breastfeeding part is seen as so normal, it’s not even mentioned — it just fades into the background. How fabulous would it be if nursing just faded into the background here!
Here are some other depictions of breastfeeding in different cultures, a nursing in public comic, and a blog about why nursing in public matters.
- Nursing in public in the USA, 1943 Entire Article
- Hathor the Cow Goddess [Too funny!]
- The nerve of some monkeys
- La Teta – To give the breast is to give life [A public service announcement from Puerto Rico – not likely to be shown on US TV!]
- Nurse Here Now [a blog dedicated to the whys and how of nursing in public]
And something super important for all of you breastfeeding Hoosiers to know about. Indiana’s Breastfeeding in public law:
Not withstanding any other law, a woman may breastfeed her child anywhere the woman has a right to be. Source: Indiana Code 16-35-6-1 Chapter 6, Sec. 7